TextpoweR offers translation of user manuals as one of the numerous services of applied translation. This service involves the processing of diverse technology texts in any field from air conditioners to photography. As is the case with other particular texts, the translation of user manuals necessitates special preparation and the availability of appropriate experience and knowledge.
TextpoweR translation agency gives its clients a guarantee that it will locate a translator from its database who is the most highly qualified in the particular area, while also obtaining an editor of that text who would have corresponding qualifications. That aside, we stay mindful of the fact the editor and translator should be able to process the text to the extent that it is comprehensible by any ordinary user and not just for specialists. Due to the close cooperation with the client, our client will receive the best solution from our translators and editors. Greater detail is described further in this document.
In the era of globalisation, enlargement of companies’ territory and penetration of new markets become increasingly more significant. For this cause, the products need to be tweaked to fit the particular needs of various cultures. When companies are able to communicate in their native tongue, the clients tend to view them more favorably. Therefore, in addition to translating and localising your companies and websites, we also assist you with marketing your products by providing you with adequately prepared, translated, edited and proofread user manuals.
Some wrongfully conclude that user manuals are easy to translate since they typically involve short and concise sentences which cannot be ambiguously comprehended. In reality, user manuals are distinguished from other texts in both form and language use. Because of this, in order to ensure the best end result, it is necessary for the translator to have appropriate experience in a given field.
- Specialists and ordinary users differ in terms of language usage, so the target group should be determined. In the case of ordinary users, there are fewer area specific terms which have always been explained; on the other hand, the text meant for experts is more specific and involves more complicated terms.
- The syntax of user manuals and ordinary language may differ somewhat. To cite an example, user manuals often use the imperative mood, which makes the text instructive. This necessitates that the reader follow the text in the presented sequence. Even though the form of user manuals is usually logical and the wording precise, sometimes there are exceptions. For that reason we always search for the most qualified translator for a particular project; which means one who knows the language, the linguistic environment and the attendant particulars.
- Numerous figures and pictures demand attention as they can help with terminology and supplementary aid, including the knowledge of product experts. When necessary, we adapt all graphic images to the target language and design and then style the translation material in alignment with the needs of the client.
Translation process of user manuals
Changes which emerge during the translation process demand additional cost and effort, so when ordering translation of a user manual it is important that the original be the latest version where no more amendments are anticipated.
When needed, we can also provide linguistic advice in preparation of the original document. The use of editors of the same translation agency in preparation of the original user manual is expedient for the language editor can avoid details that could cause problems in the translation process and the subsequent stages of the process will take less time.
In the following stage it is necessary that the file be saved in an easily edited format. One case in point is a MS Office file. A text presented on paper generates additional charges, since scanning and styling of pictures demands more work. The simpler it is for the translator to access the text or parts of the document(s), the faster will the work be committed and returned to the client. At the same time, TextpoweR will accept text in any format.
Translation process of user manuals comprises the following steps:
- agreement with client regarding project terms and conditions (deadline, styling);
- assembly of project team;
- research (creation of term base), translation and localisation;
- editing and proofreading;
- styling, layout design and final review;
- return of translation to the client;
- client feedback and required amendments;
- finalising the project.
Cooperation with client
In the case of any translation, cooperation with the client is inevitable. In short, the following aspects are of consequence here:
- term base or the company slang,
- if possible, a more detailed overview of the product or service to be translated,
- client feedback.
The client’s assistance with terminology issues is encouraged. We also need the client’s input in determining the target group of the translation and establishing deadlines. All companies may have terms they prefer and some have even created relevant databases. Making this accessible to us would facilitate the translator’s work.
If there is no existing term base, we are prepared to create one and supplement it in the course of future translations. Since they can offer information about a particular country of a specific product, it is important that the creation of the term base involve all the company’s offices or agents in different countries. If you are already a regular client of TextpoweR, we are able to offer you shorter deadlines when you return for additional services since the terms are familiar and the client’s preferences known.
Translation of user manuals would be greatly facilitated by the first-hand experience of the translator with the machine described in the user manual in order to check whether everything is sufficiently understandable. Additionally, seeing and using the machine will also make the description easier.
The client’s feedback to services rendered is also very welcome and this is the last stage of the project. Amendments as to terms and style made with the help of the company’s specialists help us improve our service and be more accurate in subsequent translations. At the same time, TextpoweR cannot ensure a quality translation if a client continues to make corrections to our delivery without having prior consultations with us.